‘MECCA-ME’
A STAR
MECCA Bingo in
Southport is launching its search to find the town’s most talented
residents to take part in the second ‘Mecca’s Got Talent’
competition.
Launching in clubs on Saturday 2 April 2011, Mecca customers and team
members who think they have a talent that deserves to shine can
enter to take part in the nationwide search. Culminating in a
national finals event in the Midlands, the winner will receive a
fantastic £5,000 cash prize and a year long contract with leading
entertainment agency, Stagepalm.
Brian Hennigan, Club Manager of Mecca Southport, says:- “We
had a great response last year and saw some very talented acts but
we know there are more people out there who deserve their moment in
the spotlight!
From singers to dancers and jugglers to impersonators, we want to
hear from anyone who can get on stage and keep an audience
entertained.
We’re all really looking forward to the club finals event in May and
seeing which of our customers and team members have hidden talents.”
The winning club act from Mecca Southport will receive a pair of
tickets to the Britain’s Got Talent Live Tour 2011 and be invited to
compete in a regional semi finals event. If they are lucky enough to
make it to the semi-finals, they stand the chance of being one of
three acts selected to perform at the Regional Final, that will take
place in June 2011.
The National Finals event, comprising ten acts (eight Regional
winners and 2 online winners), will take place on Saturday 16 July
at a Mecca Bingo club in the Midlands, with TV’s Lorraine Kelly as
host. Lorraine Kelly says:- “I’m really thrilled to be
part of Mecca’s talent search for the second year in a row. The
quality of acts in last year’s final was fantastic so I’ve got high
hopes for this year! Who knows, we might even find the next Susan
Boyle!”
To take part, simply fill in an entry form available from your local
Mecca Bingo club from the 2 April 2011. All forms must be completed and
returned to your local club by the 30 April 2011.
The clubs finals will take place on Friday, 13 May 2011 and will be
judged by up to 3 impartial judges from the local community.
Trust pledges equal
health care for all

AN NHS trust is promising to iron
out differences in community health care services for adults across
Southport, Formby and West Lancashire once it becomes responsible
for them on Friday (1 April 2011). It will be then that
Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust takes responsibility for
many of these services currently provided by NHS Sefton and NHS
Central Lancashire.
The new model, known as integrated care, removes barriers between
hospital and community health care, making it easier, when
appropriate, to deliver more care closer to home and in the home.
“To begin with, patients won’t notice much difference. Services will continue
to be provided in the same place, at the same time and by the same
staff. But, over time, we will see faster access to treatment,
investment in community health care as well as an improved
experience for patients.
An example of this would be removing the variations in health care
where community services are available to patients in one area but
not another, or not the same standard.” said Chief Executive Jonathan Parry.
Improvements to services will be overseen by a Clinical Senate, a
new, high-level advisory committee set up to report directly to the
Trust’s board of directors. It will be made up of senior
clinicians, including hospital consultants and family doctors,
health managers and patient representatives.
Mr Parry said:- “The Senate will make its recommendations on
how we deliver health care services directly to the board, so I
expect it to be very influential in how the Trust develops in the
years ahead. Integrating care between hospital, the
community and home will be a more efficient use of scarce NHS
resources as well as better meeting the needs of patients.
These changes will also allow us to focus together on some of the
serious health problems that people in our area live with, such as
diabetes and heart disease.”
It’s all change
WITH the
Government looking to continue driving its cost cutting measure
through, it seems that they are looking to pass some of the savings
to the business community in the form of some radical employment
thinking in order to get industry buzzing. Two recent reports have
caught people’s intention, the first being the idea of businesses
that employ less than 10 staff being able to negotiate with staff
over their family friendly rights, including maternity and paternity
leave. At the end of the day the devil will be in the detail but
this certainly would alleviate the pressure on small businesses with
a small workforce where a member of the team, in the case of a
mother, could be off work for up to a year. Radical in its thinking
it maybe, but is it likely to get off the ground in terms of
practice, HR Dept – West Lancashire Managing Director says:-
"It may encourage smaller businesses to employ more women of child
bearing age, though they would still be heavily protected under
discrimination rules." Additionally it would be a retrograde
step for a Coalition who have championed family friendly policies
and talented females may shun working for SME’s. The second report
looks at the cost of sickness absence to not only business but the
burdens it places on the welfare state. A recent report from the
Welfare Reform Minster, Lord Freud, outlined a proposal for
employers providing their employees with income protection insurance
to pay out when they are off sick from work. With sickness absence
costing the economy and British business more than £8 billion and
the welfare bill being in excess of £75 billion it appears cost
cutting exercises could reach all warps of employment and life. HR
Dept – West Lancashire Managing Director states:- "This is a
good idea in principle, but it doesn’t necessarily tackle the
problem of dealing with long term sickness absence issues which can
often be very difficult and emotional. Often owners and managers
aren’t sure what they can say or do when it comes to sickness
absence issues, so dealing with the root cause instead of the actual
payment details may be better directed." It remains to be
seen whether the rules will come to any fruition given this would be
a big overhaul, but is welcome thinking on the basis that small
businesses do feel like they are treated as bigger business in the
eyes of the Government. Flexibility in key decision areas like
family friendly policies may make small businesses feel like they
are being listened to more and encourage the revolution of growth.
Vicky Crosby is a human resources professional providing advice on
HR and employment issues for The
HR Dept. |
Paperback writer gives stamp of approval for new library
PLANS to
dedicate areas of the new look Central Library to Liverpool greats
has been given the thumbs up by Sir Paul McCartney. In
January, the city council announced plans to dedicate different
areas of the redevelopment to writing, cinematic and musical greats.
A shortlist was drawn up and members of the public were encouraged
to have their say on who and what should become a permanent fixture
at the library.
Final lists have now been drawn up by the libraries and archives
team with the help of literary loving local residents who voted for
who they would like to see set in stone. Sir Paul McCartney
was a popular choice to be added to the Literary Liverpool panel
which will cover the back of the building and celebrates writers who
were born, lived, worked, visited or were influenced by the city.
All the finalists (or their families) were contacted to let them
know they had been selected, and the libraries and archives team
received a raft of replies, including a note from the song-writing
legend which said:- “I would be very happy for my name to be
used on the external cladding of the redeveloped Liverpool Central
Library and Archive. Thank you for doing me the honour.”
It’s even more fitting that the former Beatle will be permanently
recognised, as one of the earliest examples of his creative genius
was unearthed at Liverpool Central Library in 2009 – a prize winning
essay written by Sir Paul when he was just 10 years old.
TV writer Carla Lane, poet Roger McGough and author Anne Baker have
also made the final list and have expressed their happiness, and
relatives of poet Adrian Henri were “delighted”.
Liverpool City Council’s Head of Libraries, Joyce Little, said:-
“A huge amount of work has gone into developing these lists and
the outcome is fantastically diverse and will hopefully stimulate
debate for years to come. The redevelopment of Liverpool’s
Central Library is a huge project and will make the venue one of the
best public libraries in the UK.
Budget cuts mean it’s a very difficult time for our library service,
but this project will provide an outstanding facility for residents
and visitors and will be an integral part of the city for future
generations.”
The team are in the process of contacting publishing houses, agents
and film studios to inform those who made the final Literary
Pavement – a 22 metre long, 4.5 metre wide walkway which will lead
from William Brown Street to the entrance of the beautifully
restored library. Engraved on it will be titles from world books,
cinema and music – which you can find inside the Grade II* listed
building.
There has already been a response from the Arthur Ransome Literary
Estate, who were happy for Swallows and Amazons to be carved into
the granite floor and said:- “The redevelopment sounds like an
excellent project and I’m sure that Arthur Ransome would be pleased
to be associated with it.”
Inside the building there will be an area dedicated to famous
quotations which will be visible from each floor of the building.
Some that made it to the final list are:-
► "Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do
for your country" – John F. Kennedy
► "I have a dream
today" – Martin Luther King
► "Life is what
happens to you while you’re busy making other plans" – John
Lennon
The feedback from members of the public to the proposals were
positive and included comments such as:-
► “I think it’s a wonderful idea and will be a constant reminder
of the classics that are available inside the library.”
►
“Thought
provoking – love it!”
► "An outstanding
idea. I cannot wait to see this unveiled.”
Main contractor Shepherd Construction began work last autumn on the
150 year old library, which lies within Liverpool’s UNESCO World
Heritage site. It will see the full restoration of the Grade II
listed parts of the building, which date back to 1860, and the
famous Hornby Library and Oak Reading Rooms will be fully open to
the public for the first time. The sections behind the façade,
which were built in the 1950s and 1970s following World War II bomb
damage and now suffer from damp and a leaking roof, will be rebuilt
to make the most of the available space.
The revamped Central Library will also include a new home for the
Liverpool Record Office which will house 14km of archives and some
of the city’s most historic treasures from the last 800 years; such
as the original 1207 charter... in purpose built secure, climate
controlled storage. Not only will the books be showcased in
spectacular surroundings, but a new children’s library will also be
created. There will also be state of the art IT facilities
which will allow young people to download music and games onto MP3
and MP4 players, with Wi-Fi and access to computers.
It is scheduled to reopen in Spring 2013. The work is being carried
out by the Inspire Partnership, which is a joint venture between
Amber Infrastructure and Shepherd Construction with architects at
Austin-Smith, Lord and Cofely as providers of Facilities Management
services.
Check your travel
insurance, warns Lancashire Euro MP
LOCAL Euro MP Brian Simpson has
warned Lancashire's Easter holidaymakers to ensure they have
adequate travel insurance before setting off. Mr Simpson, who is
Chairman of the European Parliament's Transport and Tourism
Committee, fears that travellers faced with the heavy costs of
airline fuel surcharges, increased VAT and high Air Passenger Duty
levels may choose to cut back on insurance in an attempt to save
money. Labour's Mr Simpson said:- "Travelling
without insurance can have a devastating effect. We need to take out
proper travel insurance to cover things like lost baggage, as well
as any hospital bills resulting from holiday injuries."
Every year holidaymakers find themselves faced with massive
bills because the travel insurance they bought from the back of a
brochure did not cover them for serious illnesses, accidents or the
death of a loved one. "Travel companies offer cheap and
very basic insurance, which in many cases does not provide adequate
cover. This is why my advice is to take out a private insurance
policy with a reputable company and ensure that all disasters are
covered. It could save a lot of heartache and even financial ruin
should holidaymakers be in the unfortunate position of needing
serious medical care or the repatriation of a body." added
Mr Simpson. |